Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Vacation wishing...


Are we there yet? Those four words kids everywhere say when they are bored traveling and can’t wait to be at their destination. Well, I am far from being a kid anymore but there is this little child, in the back of my mind, poking me and saying “are we there yet?” To me, “there” is the Outer Banks of North Carolina, my most favorite vacation beach spot, that we go to every September. This year it seems like September is too far away and I am so ready to leave right now.

Each September, after Labor Day, we rent a large beach house complete with heated pool for chilly days and a hot tub for cozy nights. We gather our bathing suits and pajamas and head south. It is only a 5 hour drive but at least a dozen times we all have to say “are we there yet?” It is a wonderful location for a vacation if a hurricane does not decide to blow hard up the coastline. The Outer Banks is a barrier island that runs along the coast of North Carolina. It’s beautiful and peaceful and it always has a way of washing off the past year's stress. There are a number of wonderful little towns that offer something for everyone, from wandering wild horses on the beach to shopping, vineyard wine tours and just plain fun; it has me coming back year after year.

This year I would like to be there now. Life has been filled with craziness this past year and I need a vacation soon. I need to feel that southern sand under my feet and the water splashing around me to get some of that ahhh vacation feel. I have started a calendar countdown this evening and if you hear whining escaping from me this summer, just remember, it’s only that kid in me saying “are we there yet?”

1 comment:

  1. Almost! I hope your vacation will inspire you and recharge your heart!

    ReplyDelete