Friday, October 16, 2009

Turning leaves and cold rain calls for soup...

Looking out my window at the beautiful turning leaves, dripping from the rain, makes me feel cozy and contented.  I love fall, my favorite season, and watching the leaves out front turn red gives me such a nesting feeling.  With me, besides staying warm and cozy, means cooking something from the comfort food family, soup.  My family thinks I am little weird, well actually I am but you never heard that from me, because I can eat soup everyday from now to springtime and not get bored.

After searching through my vast collection of recipes in books, magazines and lots of little cards I have decided this weekend would be perfect for the warm and creamy, and one of my most favorites, Cream of Cauliflower Cheese Soup.  This recipe I found once in the Taste of Home Magazine (it's their photo also) and it quickly became a family favorite.  There are so many Cream of Cauliflower recipes out there and many are fabulous and I love them too, but today I want the cheesey one.  I love this with some green salad, crusty bread and a couple glasses of merlot and I am very content.  Try it, it is good for warming your soul.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup
1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
1 medium onion, chopped,1 can  14 1/2 oz chicken broth   
1 chicken boulillon cube
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups (8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
Directions
In large saucepan, combine cauliflower, onion broth and bouilion. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.  Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour until smooth.  Gradually add milk.  Cook and stir until bubbly, and thickened, about 5 minutes.  Reduce heat, add cheese and seasonings. Pour into the cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Do Not Boil.  Makes 6-8 servings.  Taste of Home says a 1 cup serving has 220 calories but I make it with 1% Milk and it is still great and the calories and fat are lowered.  I have also left out the curry powder before and I liked it just as well.  I would rate this a 10 when it comes to comfort food and I love having left overs the next day for lunch.

Try it, I know you'll love it too. 

4 comments:

  1. I could eat soup all the time as long as someone is cooking it. Yummy! I enjoy fall very briefly, and then I have to rake! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I love cream of cauliflower w/ cheese soup. Looks divinely dee-lish and wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try it one of these days. This is the time of year I love soup, and crave it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne,
    I just found your blog today, nice to meet someone who appreciates the southern life. I am going to try that cauliflower soup. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete